Electromagnetic hypersensitivity

advanced, research-based alternative and conventional medical treatments

Electrohypersensitivity’ is often explained as a psychological syndrome. Our modern environment contains a lot of different substances and some of them are toxic. Mycotoxins are types of toxins that are biologically very active and that affect living organisms. Mycotoxins and fungi capable of producing toxins have been detected in ventilation systems, water damage and in foodstuff. Many of those displaying symptoms caused by electromagnetic fields have fungus infections or have been living in fungus-contaminated environments for long periods. In animal studies mycotoxins have shown the same effects as those seen in the ‘electrohypersensitivity’ syndrome.

Electromagnetic hypersensitivity or in English called EHS - Electromagnetic hypersensitivity is a hotly debated topic. During the years we have conducted research and operations in the remediation industry, more and more people have contacted us and told us about their experiences, which indicate that mold in houses could cause or be a partial cause of the development of electrical hypersensitivity. Now research is also starting to point in this direction.

Mold vs. Electrosensitivity
Mold can cause electrical hypersensitivityWe have received detailed descriptions and pictures that show how people with electrical hypersensitivity react. Symptom descriptions include, as with a stay in what is called a sick house [1], sleep disturbance, fatigue, cognitive difficulties, irregular heart rhythm or palpitations, dizziness, headache, skin symptoms with sometimes a hot or tender sensation, etc. Quality of life and ability to work can suffer greatly in those with more pronounced problems.

Ville Valtonen, a specialist in internal medicine and infectious diseases in Finland, is also a specialist in how mold [6] can affect those exposed in houses. Valtonen says that exposure to mold and staying in damaged houses causes health effects that generally escalate into gradual deterioration. It often starts with milder symptoms such as problems from the eyes, nose and throat, to further develop with or to more chronic problems such as exhaustion, allergy, asthma, etc.. Later in the disease stage, he mentions MCS – Multiple Chemical Sensitivity and electrical hypersensitivity. Valtonen says that many of the patients with electrical hypersensitivity he examined have been or are exposed to mold in houses. [2]

Recently, Gunnar Heuser MD presented Ph.D. from California, specialist in mold-related diseases and clinical toxicology, findings that agree with what Ville Valtonen tells. Heuser has established a connection especially between exposure to mold, head injury and the development of electrical hypersensitivity. Abnormality detected in patients on MRI brain scan. [3] Interestingly, Heuser also links exposure to environmental factors such as mold with MCS – Multiple Chemical Sensitivity [10]. Heuser's research includes, among other things that the mast cells are affected by the exposure factors and head injury and that this can lead to hypersensitivity, both MCS and EHS. [3,4]

Earlier, in 1999, Kim Anttila from Västerås issued a medical hypothesis which states that mold with its mold poison could cause electrical hypersensitivity. Anttila points out in particular that many of those who show symptoms when exposed to electric fields have fungal infections and have lived for long periods in houses contaminated with mold. Antilla also writes that animal experiments with mold toxins have produced the same effects as seen in EHS. [5]

Mold [6] with its metabolites such as mycotoxins [7] is known to cause inflammation and neurological abnormalities. Regarding multiple chemical sensitivity and electrical hypersensitivity, researchers in 2015 have come to the common denominator of inflammation and a number of other factors. [8] A risk was seen for neurodegeneration, which we previously discussed in relation to mold and fungus. [9,11]

Electrical hypersensitivity in connection with mold is included in the new term DMHS - Dampness and Mold Hypersensitivity Syndrome, which has been coined to explain the escalating disease picture that becomes a stark reality for many mold-exposed people, children and adults. [12,13]

Read more about mold poison, also called mycotoxin, which in 2007 was proven once and for all to be common in houses with moisture damage. [7] Furthermore, researchers have established in 2017 that mold toxins are easily released from the mold's point of attack into the indoor air. [14] We have research verified that this can happen i.a. from the basement and crawl space up into the house. [15]

No-sayers to mold and electrical hypersensitivity
A whole book could be written about naysayers, to the fact that mold can cause damage and that electrical hypersensitivity exists. One finding is that some of these people advocate antidepressants - SSRIs in combination with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy - CBT, to get rid of MCS and EHS. They like to angle their research and further statements against the fact that patients become ill because they have mental problems and are afraid of e.g. smell of mold. Several SSRI preparations have documented anti-inflammatory properties. [16] An example is Citalopram, which has been used successfully in an individual with depression and MCS. [17] Furthermore, Steven Nordin at Umeå University, among others, trumpets his, according to his own statement, authoritative findings in a negative tone. Nordin believes that an environmentally sensitive individual has been helped by the SSRI preparation Paroxetine [18], which is also anti-inflammatory. [16] Nordin may have done this in too close cooperation with pharmaceutical companies. [18] It will also be very interesting when we find that certain SSRIs can have a direct effect against invasive species of fungus and mold. [20]

There is potentially a much better way to get rid of or reduce inflammation and invasive fungal and mold growth in the body, than popping toxic pills with serious side effects. If it concerns a sick house and mold, the house itself must be cleaned immediately in an appropriate way. The alternative is to move or change workplace, which in case of more extensive damage can be good, at least initially. Change and improvement in lifestyle may also be required, while the diet must be reviewed. There are alternative, less toxic preparations to strengthen and balance the body's functions with. We have written more about that on the page free from mould. [20] Feel free to talk to your doctor or psychologist etc. if you have electrical hypersensitivity or other problems such as depression. By law, treating staff may recommend alternative preparations. Regarding depression, such is just like MCS and electrical hypersensitivity linked to inflammation and mold with its mold toxins. Mold in the body also affects the "bud". [20]

An angle that we think should be studied more is the question of whether low-frequency electric fields and so-called mobile radiation can stimulate mold and fungus to grow, both in houses and in the human body. The research that is available suggests that this may be the case. [21] There are two aspects to this question. One is that the mold could be directly activated by the radiation, while the other is that the radiation reduces and rebalances the body's defenses and thereby causes hypersensitivity etc. health effects. Read more about the health effects that are reported when people have stayed in houses with mold and moisture damage. [22]

Interesting in this context is e.g. to look further at the mold's impact on mast cells, which emit i.a. histamine. Histamine release can be inflammatory. Article will come when time is given.

- Mold in houses causes environmental intolerance hyperreactivity AHR SHR

Much suggests that electrical hypersensitivity can be prevented with dehumidifiers , in a healthy house. If the moisture damage has already taken place, quick cleaning measures should be taken to minimize the growth of various mold species and bacteria.

Chemical damage in houses, such as wood preservatives such as pentachlorophenol , can also cause health effects, especially in combination with mold.

Scroll to Top
Skip to content