What are mold toxins? Mold toxins are toxic gases produced by many indoor molds. Mold toxicity is an emerging illness that has become much more prevalent in the last 50 years.
What has changed? After the Arab oil embargo in 1973, we began building air-tight, energy-efficient homes and buildings. These air-tight, water-damaged buildings do not “breathe,” and therefore our indoor air becomes saturated with mold toxins.
Another change we made in the 1970s was the transition from plaster to drywall. This change in the use of building materials caused a spike in patients exposed to mold toxins, as molds tend to flourish on wet drywall. Overall, the advent of drywall and the production of energy-efficient homes in the 1970s caused a rapid rise in the number of Americans experiencing mold symptoms and suffering from mold illness.
There are estimated to be over 50,000 different species of mold, but only about 200 species may present serious health risks to human beings and animals. These harmful species of mold are referred to as toxin-producing molds and are potentially poisonous because they produce mycotoxins that are harmful to the body. These toxin-producing molds produce toxic gases in the indoor air we breathe. Mold Toxicity occurs when patients accumulate excessive levels of mold toxins in their brain and body.