Toxic Black Mold

Why is Exposure To Toxic Black Mold Dangerous?

Why is black mold dangerous
5 min read

Do you smell something odd in your home?

It could be mildew or worse, black mold?

Mold and mildew are both members of the fungi kingdom; both like to be in moist, humid areas, often found around your home in places like the bathroom, attic, or basement. However, they also have stark differences.

Mildew tends to grow on the surface and can generally be removed with a store-bought cleaner and scrubbing brush. Be sure there is ventilation in the room and wear appropriate respiratory protection. If it’s black mold, then you’ve got a bigger problem because black mold tends to penetrate materials and can be tricky to treat and is extremely toxic for your health.

Dr. Sponaugle believes that toxic black mold is the most significant health problem in the country right now. “The research is out there from all over the world. I don’t know why we’re so far behind.”

So why is black mold dangerous? What are the risks of ignoring it?

Read on for why you should give black mold a second glance.

What Is Black Mold?

Black mold, also known as Stachybotrys chartarum, is a greenish-black mold, which grows on materials like drywall, wood, under the carpet, behind shower walls, in basements, etc. More specifically, black mold grows best in places that have experienced water damage or have elevated moisture levels.

Black mold releases lethal mold spores into the air called mycotoxins. Due to the air-tight buildings that we now live, study, and work-in during this day and age, the mold spores become trapped, damaging the indoor air quality. Inevitably, mold spores are inhaled, causing acute to severe health issues.

After natural disasters like hurricanes or tornadoes, excess moisture and standing water contribute to the growth of mold in a home. Think about all the uninhabited, flooded homes after Hurricane Harvey or Hurricane Irma.

Mold can affect anyone’s health, but Dr. Sponaugle notes that about 25 percent of us are especially vulnerable to the fungi’s toxins due to genetics.

People with respiratory conditions like asthma or allergies are especially sensitive to mold; however, those most endangered are those with already weakened immune systems.

Black mold can have a musty odor smell, and if smelled, precaution should be taken. However, there isn’t always an odor, and many times, if it’s hidden behind a wall, it won’t be as easy to detect. Therefore, you must be aware of the symptoms that black mold causes.

What Are the Symptoms?

The most common black mold symptoms are the following:

  • Headache
  • Fatigue and weakness
  • Chronic coughing, sneezing, sinus congestion
  • Brain fog/loss of memory (can’t find the words)
  • Irritation to your eyes, blurred vision, white spots
  • Mucus in your throat
  • Rashes, Reddish colored blotches
  • Kidney/bladder discomfort
  • Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
  • Vertigo, Feeling lightheaded
  • Recurring infections
  • Hormonal disruption
  • Liver disease
  • Autoimmune disorders

Testing for Black Mold

The most common areas include basements, crawlspaces, bathrooms, and kitchens. Sight and smell can be a good indication of whether or not you have a black mold problem.

Of course, the most obvious indication is if you see black.

The best option and safest option in Dr. Sponaugle’s opinion is to call a professional mold testing company that will take samples of the air quality in your home. They’ll be able to identify what type of mold you have and then recommend the next steps. It’s better to be safe and find out if you have no mold than to live unknowingly in a black mold-infested home before it’s too late.

How to Clean Black Mold

Now that we’ve explained why black mold is dangerous, I’m sure you’re anxious to remove it.

You’ve already identified where it’s coming from.

Check!

Although many of us like to “DIY,” Dr. Sponaugle does not recommend cleaning black mold yourself.

“I do not recommend for anyone to put their health at risk by cleaning black mold themselves, that’s what professionals are trained to do. I especially do not recommend anyone to clean black mold with chlorine or bleach. When you do so, you then rupture the cell wall, which is where the lethal mycotoxins are contained. If you bleach the spore, you then rupture the spore, and you will release those toxins throughout the air in your home, school, or workspace.”

However, we realize not everyone can call a professional. If you must clean it yourself, a professional citrus spray removal is recommended. The citrus encapsulates the spore first, then kills the spore, and can dissolve the volatile organic compounds, i.e., the mold mycotoxins. There are several sprays on the market now, so please do your due diligence before purchasing.”

Now that you have done your research on which citrus mold removal spray is most effective seal off the room where the black mold is located. Shut the doors, cover the vents, doors, etc. You don’t want any spores escaping.

Place an exhaust fan to where the spores go out, ideally near a window

Wear gloves, a facemask, goggles, and cover all exposed skin when cleaning out the black mold.

Lightly spray the mold with water. Scrub it with a brush/rag with soapy water.

Finally, scrub the area with the professional citrus mold removal product.

After cleaning out all the black mold, place all the equipment and debris in a heavy-duty trash bag. If you can, don’t walk through the entire house with it. Go straight to the back door to the garbage can.

Congrats! You’ve just succeeded in the first steps of removing the black mold from your home. If the black mold reappears, then your issue is beyond the surface, and you must call a professional for adequate removal.

So Why Is Black Mold Dangerous?

In a nutshell, it can cause health problems for everyone in your home if left untreated.

Black mold will not just disappear on its own unless it’s properly removed. Don’t assume that it’s just some stain on the wall.

If you can’t afford a professional mold tester to come out, do what we recommended. Every little bit helps!

How We Can Help

At the Sponaugle Wellness Institute, we assist in the healing of patients with chronic illness. Dr. Sponaugle specializes in treating Mold Toxicity, Industrial Toxicity, Gut Toxicity, Lyme Disease, and more.

Now you know the answer to the question, “Why is black mold dangerous?” Just listen to some of the lives that we’ve changed through our treatments.

If you have any additional questions/concerns, please feel free to reach out to us today!

author-avatar

About Sponaugle Wellness Institute

At Sponaugle Wellness Institute we practice integrative medicine, combining the best of conventional and alternative medicine to focus on outcome-based treatments for patient. Our mission is to diagnose and treat the underlying cause of our patient’s illness rather than to treat their symptoms. Dr. Rick Sponaugle, Director of Sponaugle Wellness Institute, is an integrative physician with extraordinary brain expertise having treated over 8,000 patients who were suffering with various psychological and neurological disorders.a

Related Posts

2 thoughts on “Why is Exposure To Toxic Black Mold Dangerous?

  1. Rick Shaw says:

    I have sent several messages wondering what the cost of treatment is for Lyme and possibly black mold toxicity please please please respond to my multiple inquiries the symptoms are robbing me of my life and it is debilitating and frustrating

  2. Gina Baraquio says:

    Help!!! Please; I’m at the end of my rope, literally. Can you recommend a company to test my home? I’ve been renting here 11 years & I have every symptom on the list. The basement was wet when we moved in & the landlord won’t do anything except exterior to keep city out from inspecting inside. My husband travels most of the year and is abusive every way but physical, he won’t let us move, won’t help us. Doesn’t care… he’s preoccupied with his life and incredibly narcissistic. I’m sick & my daughter has many symptoms. If I would have known all this I would have never moved in to begin with. The landlord just told us “the basement is only for doing laundry. You can’t use it fir storage& has ignored all my mentions of mold and getting rid of the mold. I have bad PTSD and have no other family, now no friends either… please help; I don’t have any one; I’m sick, isolated and desperate. I have lost the will to fight & I’m loosing the will to live at all. That’s not what I want, never did but there’s only so much one can take. Please help- Gina Baraquio

Comments are closed.